Traffic Management London are now able to undertake crime impact assessments of construction sites and supply guidance on approaches that can reduce opportunity crime.

Section 17 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 places an obligation on authorities and those working on its behalf to “Consider crime and disorder in all of its undertakings.”

On average there are approximately 2,500 crimes at construction every year. A sample of these crimes revealed that 80% of the offences were theft of plant and construction materials and the remaining 20% violent offences with some noticeable sex offences occurring due to the positioning of the hoardings themselves (MPS 2018).

Crime, antisocial behaviour and the fear of crime can have a major impact on people’s lives and may result in some people choosing not to leave their home. The Metropolitan Police Service designing out crime team advise that the bulk of crime can be prevented by following simple steps with design. Through Secure by Design (SBD), police teams’ advise on the development of secure housing and commercial properties, and through this they often achieve crime reductions in excess of 80%. Adopting the same principles for construction sites has the potential to yield similar results.

Please contact us to find out more or to get a quote for crime impact assessments of construction sites.

Office: 0208 667 9687
Email: info@trafficmanagement.london


Contact us today and we will be more than happy to help with whichever service you require.